- Assistant Professor, Chemistry
- SM 121/122 General Chemistry I/II
- SM 221 Organic Chemistry I
- SM 116 Physics I
- SM 141 Chemistry and Society
- SM 101 Science is Fun!
- SM 100 Fundamentals of College Mathematics
Humanities & Natural Sciences
Contact Information Available
Eckel Hall 308
Dr. Venera Jouraeva started teaching at Cazenovia College in the fall of 2012. Prior to coming to Cazenovia, she taught a variety of chemistry courses at SUNY Oswego, Kutztown University, and Capital University, and worked as the technical director of an environmental testing lab. Dr. Jouraeva’s research focuses on developing new soil and water remediation methods. She is also interested in leading undergraduate and high school student research and in integrating humor and other innovative educational approaches and technologies into her classes.
- Ph.D. and M.S., Environmental Science/Environmental Chemistry, SUNY-ESF, Syracuse, NY
- M.S. and B.S., Physical Chemistry/Chemical Education, Kazan Federal University, Kazan, Russia
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Award for organizing Outstanding Sustainability Activities, 2011.
- ACS Award the Best Program in a Local Section Stimulating Membership Involvement, 2011.
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Award of Excellence for Research in Environmental Chemistry, presented by the Division of Environmental Chemistry, 2003.
- Jouraeva V.A., 2007. “Reducing air pollutants while preserving the national identity of Russian landscape architecture.” In conference proceedings: Globalization and Landscape Architecture: Issues for Education and Practice, St. Petersburg State Forest Technical Academy, Russia and Lincoln University, NZ.
- Venera A. Jouraeva, David L. Johnson, John P. Hassett, David J. Nowak, Natalia A. Shipunova, and Dana Barbarosa, 2006. “Role of sooty mold fungi in accumulation of fine-particle-associated PAHs and metals on deciduous leaves.” Environmental Research, Volume 102, Issue 3, November, 272 – 282.
- Jouraeva V.A., 2005. “Role of sooty mold fungi in accumulation of fine-particle-associated PAHs and metals on deciduous leaves and in degradation of PAHs in soil.” SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Doctoral Dissertation, ISBN-13: 9780542096792.
- Jouraeva, V.A., Johnson, D.L., Hassett, J.P., & Nowak, D.J., 2002. “Differences in accumulation of PAHs and metals on leaves of Tilia x euchlora and Pyrus calleryana.” Environmental Pollution 120(2), 331 – 338.
- Johnson, D.L., Nowak, D.J., & Jouraeva, V.A., 1999. “Characterizing individual particles on tree leaves using computer automated scanning electron microscopy.” Advances in Environmental Research 2 (4), 456 – 466.
- 1. “Teaching Chemistry with a Pinch of Humor,” 248th ACS National Meeting in San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, August 2014.
- 2. “Lessons of Environmental Stewardship,” 247th ACS National Meeting in Denver, Denver CO, March 2014.
- 3. “Role of iron in degradation of carcinogenic and noncarcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soil contaminated with heavy metals. Presented by Bilgenur Sirin (Syracuse Academy of Sciences Charter School senior), Advisor: Venera Jouraeva. 246th ACS National Meeting in Indianapolis, IN, September 2013.
- 4. Linden trees and their effect on air quality and reduction of carcinogens in the environment,” Oswego City Hall, Oswego, NY May 2013.
- 5. “Degradation of Aromatic Polycyclic Hydrocarbons in Contaminated Soil Amended with Fishbone Apatite and Iron (III) oxide,” 17th Annual CNY AWMA Technical Conference Welch Allyn Lodge, Skaneateles, New York, March, 2013.
- 6. “Role of Iron in Degradation of Aromatic Polycyclic Hydrocarbons in Contaminated Soil Amended with Fishbone Apatite,” Presented by Shirley Peng, Advisor: Venera Jouraeva (SUNY Oswego). NERM 2012, Rochester, NY, August 2012.
- Taught a variety of chemistry and environmental science courses at SUNY Oswego, Oswego, NY, 2009-2012.
- Worked as a Technical Director of Enalytic LLC, Environmental Testing Lab, East Syracuse, NY, 2007-2009.
- Taught a variety of chemistry and environmental science courses at Kutztown University, Kutztown, PA, 2005-2007.
- While in graduate school: Taught chemistry at Capital University, Columbus, OH 2003-2005.
- American Chemical Society (2002– present) - member of the Joint Board-Council Committee on International Activities (2010-present), served as a councilor and a district delegate of the Central NY Section of the ACS.
- American Industrial Hygiene Association (2008-present) - member
- Air & Waste Management Association (2011-present) - member
- Peer-reviewed three book chapters in “Jobs, Collaborations, and Women Leaders in the Global Chemistry Enterprise,” 2015 and a book chapter in “The Power of Inclusive Innovation,” 2013, ACS Publications
- Peer-reviewed 12 manuscripts for various high-impact journals such as: "Environmental Research," "Environmental Pollution," "Environmental Science and Technology," "International Journal of Environmental Analytical Chemistry" and "Journal of Chemical Education."
- Serve on the Science Advisory Board of GENIUS International Environmental Olympiad held annually at SUNY Oswego, Oswego, NY (2010-present).